TUESDAY EVENING UPDATE

RI MAN ACCUSED OF KILLING RELATIVE IN NH HOSPITAL

Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (AP Photo / Toby Talbot)

New Hampshire’s attorney general says a patient was killed at the state’s largest hospital by a family member. Attorney General Gordon MacDonald gave more information Tuesday night on what prompted an active shooter alert inside the intensive care unit at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon. He identified the slain patient as a 70-year-old woman and said the shooter was a relative. He says no one else was injured. Authorities have said a person was taken into custody while trying to leave the grounds of the hospital. Rhode Island State Police have identified the person taken into custody as a Rhode Island resident. A state police spokeswoman says the suspect’s car had Rhode Island license plates so New Hampshire police reached out for help in identifying the person.

MAN FALLS, SPEARED BY ROTISSERIE STAND

DANBURY, Conn. (AP) – Connecticut fire officials say a man fell from a roof and became impaled on a barbecue grill rotisserie stand, seriously injuring himself. Crews were called Tuesday morning to a Danbury social club, where authorities say a man fell about 10 feet and landed on the metal object. It punctured part of his chest. Witnesses say the man had been inspecting an exhaust fan on the roof. Authorities say responders used a saw to cut the beam off the grill while paramedics kept the metal in the man’s chest so he could be taken to the hospital. The man in his 30s will undergo surgery to have the object removed. A safety specialist with the Occupational Health and Safety Administration was at the scene.

NEW CHIEF OF MOHEGAN GAMING

Mario Kontomerkos (MGE) (PRNewsfotot)

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) – The new chief executive officer for the company that owns the Mohegan Sun casino says it will continue expanding non-gambling amenities amid growing competition in New England. Mario Kontomerkos was announced Tuesday as the CEO of Mohegan Gaming & Entertainment, the company owned by the Mohegan Tribe in Uncasville, Connecticut. Kontomerkos has been the company’s chief financial officer since 2011. He said in an interview that the company’s expansion from two properties to seven over the last half decade has been key to its emergence from a financial predicament following the Great Recession. The company kicked off a search for a new CEO following the resignation in February of Bobby Soper.

SENATOR CALLS FOR MORE BASE CLOSINGS

Sen. Jack Reed

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) – U.S. Sen. Jack Reed wants Congress to authorize a new round of military base closings. The Rhode Island Democrat filed an amendment with Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain to the Senate’s defense authorization bill for fiscal 2018 Monday to authorize a round of base closures and realignments, starting in 2019. McCain is the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Reed is the ranking member. Reed said Tuesday their approach for base closings addresses concerns with past rounds, and the Pentagon needs to close excess installations so the money can be better spent. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has said they could save $10 billion over five years. The Trump administration wants closings to start in 2021. The Republican-led House rejected that request. Military installations are prized possessions in congressional districts.

MEGOS APPEAL DENIED

Zane Megos (The Day)

A five year prison term given to Norwich businessman Zane Megos has been upheld by the State Appellate Court. A three-judge panel denies Megos’s appeal of a court ruling which said he violated probation when he accepted a deposit from a prospective tenant for a Norwich apartment which was condemned. Megos was sentenced back in 2012 to probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor larceny charges for taking deposits on rental properties that were either condemned or he didn’t own. Megos’s attorney says it’s up to his client to decide if he wants to take his case to the State Supreme Court. He says there’s a possibility Megos could be released early from prison.

ACCESS HEALTH IN NORWICH

Norwich will be the site of one of ten new in-person enrollment centers for Connecticut’s health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act. Access Health C-T officials say the exact location of the Norwich facility hasn’t been determined yet, but it will be operational in time for the open enrollment period which begins November 1st. Norwich is the only Southeastern Connecticut location chosen for an Access Health C-T center.

Comments are closed.